How Much is EB2 Visa Fees?
Immigrants today are a crucial part of the American workforce, with almost 17% of the overall working population comprising of foreign nationals, according to an article on the National Immigration Forum. As per the US Census Bureau, immigration could become the main reason for population growth in the country by 2030, which will directly impact growth in the workforce. The US government has projected that between 2014 and 2024, there will be 9.8 million job added and the labor force will increase by 7.9 million workers.
Also read: EB2 Visa Eligibility
EB-2 Green Card Cost
There are different fees to be paid by both the US employer and the employee for the EB2 visa. Here are the details:
Don’t forget to get travel insurance 👉 Details here.
- The USCIS Form I-140 petition filing fee by the employer costs $700
- I-485 filing fee can be paid either by you or your employer, and this can range between $750 and $1,140. This EB2 green card cost depends on your age.
- You will be required to pay $85 as a biometric fee, if applicable.
- A DS-260 processing and filing fee of $230 needs to be paid by you. This is required only if you are outside the US when filing for the visa. An affidavit of support fee of $88 is also required.
So, the total fee amounts to $1,450 for those just changing their status. If you are outside the country, the total green card cost could be as much as $2,243. Keep in mind that all costs related to the PERM Labor Certification has to be borne by your employer.
EB2 Optional Costs
Apart from the necessary EB2 green card costs, there are a few that you can consider:
- Premium processing service: The use of this service could reduce the I-140 processing time from six months to around half a month. The fee is $1,410 and can be paid by you or your employer.
- Travel: Traveling fee is applicable if you wish to travel to a consulate.
- Attorney: An attorney fee, which can vary.
EB2 Visa Refund Process
If your visa gets denied, you will not receive a refund of your EB2 expenses. There are some circumstances under which you could get some money back. These are:
- An unnecessary form was asked for, which incurred a fee.
- The requested fee is more than the appropriate cost.
- The petition was not processed within 15 days even after paying the premium processing charges. For this, you will receive only the processing fee and not the I-140 filing fee.
EB2 Visa Processing Time
If all the PERM Labor Certification formalities have been completed on time by your employer, the processing time breakdown would be:
- Prevailing Wage Request: 2 weeks
- Recruitment Period: 2 months
- Application: 6 months
The entire procedure can be done within 34 weeks, or around 9 months. This is the ideal time and there are many situations that can delay the process.
🇺🇸 Also, get travel insurance before your trip 👉 Compare plans.