What is the EB2 Visa
A major source of population growth and cultural change in the United States has been immigration. According to the 2016 Yearbook of Immigration Statistics, approximately 1.18 million legal immigrants entered the nation, of which 12% were admitted based on employment in the country. With convenient options like flexible work timings, no work on weekends, day care services, long parental leaves and so on, America has been progressing towards offering its workforce great work life balance. This, along with the opportunities for career advancement, are among the key reasons why more people want to join the workforce in the United States.
What is EB2 Visa
Green card cases based on labor certification has two categories, one of which is EB2. The EB2 visa is the second preference employment based category, under which a foreign national with advanced degrees and exceptional abilities is granted permanent resident status in the US. The EB2 Green Card is further subdivided into the following categories:
- EB2-A Advanced Degree
You will require a Master’s degree or equivalent or a Bachelor’s degree or equivalent with five years of progressive work experience to qualify for the EB2-A Advanced Degree green card.
Don’t forget to get travel insurance 👉 Details here.
- EB-2B Exceptional Degree
For an EB-2B green card, you must have exceptional abilities in science, arts and/or business, and have an expertise (specialization) degree, which is above the ordinary ones in the US.
- EB-2C National Interest Waiver
If you think your work is of national interest to the United States, you are eligible to apply for a labor certification waiver. However, for this you will need a job offer and a self petitioned Immigrant Petition Alien Worker, Form 1-140.
Read: EB2 Visa Fees
General Documents to Qualify for EB-2B
You will require the following documents to qualify for EB-2B Visa:
- Official academic records that show that you have a degree, diploma, certificate or equivalents from a university, college or any other recognized learning institution.
- Letters showing that you have 10 years of experience in your profession.
- A valid license to legally practice your profession.
- Documents showing that you will be paid a certain salary in exchange for the exceptional services you will be providing.
- Membership of professional association(s).
- Significant recognition of your achievements in your field of expertise by government organizations or business entities.
- If you possess any other relevant eligibility evidence, it will also be acceptable.
How to Apply for the EB2 Visa
All applications for the EB2 Visa, except for EB2-C, should have an individual labor certification from the Department of Labor on Form ETA-750. For the National Interest Waiver, an application can be filed directly with the United States Custom and Immigration Services, along with Form I-140, Petition for Alien Worker.
Also read: EB2 Visa Application Procedure
If you are an EB2 visa holder, your family, including your spouse and dependent children, can also reside with you in the US under E-21 and E-22 immigrant status. While you and your spouse are applying for a permanent resident status, your spouse can also file an Employment Authorization Document (EAD).
🇺🇸 Also, get travel insurance before your trip 👉 Compare plans.