Do Mexican Citizens Need a Visa to Visit USA?
A total of 89 million international tourists are forecasted to visit the US in 2022, according to figures released by Statista. Of these, Mexicans alone would account for 19.84 million! The United States is truly an extraordinary country, offering a glimpse into a unique blend of cultures, histories and traditions. And, bring Mexico’s neighbor, it isn’t very difficult to Mexicans to travel to the US, unless of course you are trying to become an illegal immigrant!
But, despite being neighbors, Mexican citizens do need to apply for a visa to legally enter the US. Here’s a look at the process.
How Can Mexicans Apply for a US Visa?
All Mexican travelers wanting to cross the border into America need a visa. And, if you wish to travel far into the US, much beyond the border, then you might also need an entry permit. Before the visa is finally issued to you, there are three basic steps that you will need to complete – filling the application form, submitting the documents required and attending the visa interview. Let us look into the details of the process.
Don’t forget to get travel insurance 👉 Details here.
- The first step is to fill up and submit the online Non Immigrant Visa Electronic Application (DS-160) Form. After submitting the form, take a printout of the confirmation page, where a 10-digit bar code number will be visible.
- The next step is to pay the non-refundable visa fee of $131 in Pesos. Keep the payment receipt carefully, since you will need it to fix the visa interview appointment.
- After this, you need to book an appointment with the local US Consulate for the visa interview.
Now, all you have to do is arrive on time for the interview, bringing along all the mandatory documents, and answer the questions honestly and confidently.
Mexican Passport Holders – Documents Required for US Visa
The following documents need to be submitted to the US consulate:
- Valid Passport: A passport with at least 6 months validity from the intended date of exit from the US. It must also have a blank page available for the visa stamp.
- Voting Card: Your IFE Card or voting card, to prove your nationality and identity.
- Bar Code: This is the bar code on the confirmation page you receive on submitting the visa application form.
- Additional Documents: These include your employment status, purpose of travel, financial status, address proofs and so on. Also, you need to bring documents to prove that you have strong ties to Mexico, and you intend to return to your home country at the end of the trip.
How Long does it Take to Obtain a US Visa for Mexican Passport Holders
The visa process is extensive. The time taken depends to a large extent on the work load of the consulate at that point in time, such as the number of visa applications received by the particular consulate. Therefore, it could take up to several weeks to get the visa delivered to you. It is always recommended to apply for a visa well in advance of your intended date of travel.
Mexican citizens who already possess a visa are required to obtain an I-94 before entering the US. This form allows you to travel more than 55 miles from the border. This is valid for 6 months and for multiple entries into the US. The fee for this is $6.
🇺🇸 Also, get travel insurance before your trip 👉 Compare plans.