Do Chinese Citizens Need a Visa to Visit USA?
China has remained one of the top countries to spend on tourism, particularly to the United States. According to the data published by the National Travel and Tourism Office, 3.2 million Chinese citizens visited the US in 2017, while 2.9 million visited the nation in 2018, says an article on The New York Times. Although the figure declined in 2018, China still remained the biggest contributor to US tourism, spending $36.4 billion in 2018 and accounting for almost a quarter of all the tourists entering America. The US-China trade war doesn’t seem to have affected vacationers and at least one industry – tourism!
Travelling to the US – Requirements
Chinese nationals wanting to travel to USA need to apply for a visit visa. The first step in this process is to fill the Non-Immigrant Electronic Visa (DS-160) Form online. Along with the form, you will need to enroll with the EVUS or Electronic Visa Update System Visa.
The EVUS has been created to screen Chinese nationals before they set foot on American soil. This automated visa system has been implemented by The American Customs and Border Control Protection, to ensure highest levels of security. Therefore, even if you are travelling from Hong Kong, Taiwan or Macau, on a People’s Republic of China Passport, it is mandatory for you to register with the EVUS.
Don’t forget to get travel insurance 👉 Details here.
How to Enroll in the EVUS
Enrollment is mandatory for all Chinese citizens, including children, with a B1 and B2 visa valid for 10 years. Make sure you complete the process before 72 hours of the date of travel. Although there is no fee to be paid for enrolment, the official website of EVUS charges $39 per application.
Here’s a look at the steps to successfully enroll with EVUS:
- Submit the application online. If it is for one individual, click on “Confirm” to continue the process. If it is for a group, use the group enrollment button.
- After accepting all the terms and conditions, put in your personal information, such as name and date of birth, as mentioned in your passport.
- Confirm the validity of the visa as 10 years by selecting “Yes” from the dropdown box. (Make sure your visa is valid for that timeframe first.)
- The next step is to enter your passport information and visa foil number.
- Enter the enrollee information, such as full name, citizenship, etc.
- Next, select the type of certification. Here you will have to choose “Enrollee”
- Finally, submit the application and take a printout before exiting the page.
Documents Required to Enroll in the EVUS
The entire process will take not more than 25 minutes, if you have all the required documents ready, such as:
- A Chinese passport, with validity of at least 6 months.
- B1/B2 visa issued by USA with a validity of 10 years.
- Address proof in USA.
- Emergency contacts, in case of unforeseen incidents.
How Long Does It Take to Get the US Visa for Chinese Citizens?
Usually, the EVUS applications take a few minutes to be approved. However, in some cases, it might take longer than usual. If your passport or visa has expired, you will have to re-enroll and go through the entire process again.
🇺🇸 Also, get travel insurance before your trip 👉 Compare plans.